The District of Columbia has laws protecting tenants’ rights, including rent control and a provision to allow apartment renters to buy their building if it comes up
(select from the list of PDF files)
- Rent Control Amendment Reform Act 2006
- Tenant Evictions Reform Amendment Act of 2006
- Right of Tenants to Organize Amendment Act of 2006
- Low-Income Disabled Tenant Rental Conversion Protection Amendment Act of 2006
- Definition of Persons with Disabilities ADA Conforming Amendment Act of 2006
- Nuisance Properties Abatement Reform and Real Property Classification Temporary Amendment Act of 2006
- Rent Administrator Hearing Authority Emergency Declaration Resolution of 2006
- Tenant-Owner Voting in Conversion Election Clarification Temporary Amendment Act of 2006
- Rental Housing Conversion and Sale Amendment Act of 2005
- Housing Act of 2002
- Abatement and Condemnation of Nuisance Properties Omnibus Amendment Act of 2000
- DC Municipal Regulation Title 20 Chapter 27 "Noise Control"
- DC Municipal Regulation Title 14 "Housing"
Instructions for viewing the regulations online:
1. Select DCMR and DCR Online.
2. Select DCMR Basic Version.
3. On the left side of the screen, select CONTENTS.
4. Select Title 20 for Noise Control or Title 14 for Housing.
5. Select Chapter 27 (Noise Control) or Chapter 42 (for Housing or other chapter of interest). The regulations can be printed from the site.
To find information about bills that are currently being considered, go to the DC Council website. You must know the Council period (session) and a keyword from the bill to search.