Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Office of the Tenant Advocate

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Resolving Rental Housing Problems Through Conciliation

Conciliation can help landlords and tenants settle their claims without going to a hearing. Both sides have an opportunity to talk things out and clear up misunderstandings with the help of a Conciliator in the Rental Accommodations and Conversions Division (RACD). Conciliation does not require witnesses or lawyers. Even after you file a tenant petition, you may still ask for conciliation before your hearing.

Advantages of Conciliation

  • Your problems are settled faster.
  • You do not have to pay for it.
  • You do not have to have a lawyer or a hearing expert.
  • You may make an appointment that fits your needs, during normal RACD business hours.
  • Conciliation helps both people work out a mutually agreeable settlement—unlike a hearing, where the Hearing Examiner makes the decision.

What Does the Conciliator Do?

The Conciliator:

  • Listens to each person without taking sides
  • Helps the landlord and tenant find areas that they can agree on
  • Explains landlord and tenant rights and duties under the Rental Housing Act of 1985 (rent control law)
  • Explains what may be violations of the law and how they may affect any case

Problems You Can Conciliate

  • Decreases or changes in services and facilities
  • Development or modification of 70 percent voluntary agreements
  • Illegal rent increases
  • Improper eviction notices
  • Improper registration
  • Rent refunds
  • Retaliation
  • Substantial housing code violations/ need for repairs

How to Ask for Conciliation or More Information

Visit the Rental Accommodations and Conversions Division, 1800 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE, or call (202) 442-7200.