The Hyperthermia Alert will be activated at 10 am today, Wednesday, June 20, 2012, due to extreme temperatures. In the event of extreme heat, you should take the following precautions:
- Stay indoors as much as possible.
- Limit exposure to the sun, especially between 10 am and 3 pm when it is strongest
- Watch for symptoms of heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Visit one of the District's "Cooling Centers" located throughout the city, if you do not have access to a cool-temperature location.
- DO NOT leave children or pets in vehicles.
- Drink plenty of water. Do not drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar.
- People with respiratory problems, or illnesses should please stay indoors.
- Regularly check on:
- Infants and young children
- People aged 65 or older
- People who have a mental illness
- Those who are ill, especially with heart disease or high blood pressure
- Call 311 for detailed information about cooling center locations.
- Visit 72hours.dc.gov for information about extreme heat and other hazards.
The air quality will be at Code Orange today, so those with respiratory issues and the elderly should stay indoors today.
(Information from DC HSEMA Alert)